Adopting the pioneer spirit of Hamamatsu College of Engineering, the Faculty of Engineering has made numerous contributions to the development of science and technology. The faculty has brought out the state of the art research development and excellent researchers and engineers in the fields of mechanical engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, information science, chemistry and chemical engineering. Below is the history of the faculty of Engineering.
History of the Faculty of Engineering and Graduate School
Hamamatsu School of Technology was established in 1922 (Taisho 11 in the Japanese calendar).
This school started with three departments: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Applied Chemistry. Two departments were added in the year 1939 (Showa 14): Precision Engineering and Communications Engineering. The Department of Aeronautical Engineering was added in the year 1941 (Showa 16) and the Department of Fuel Chemistry was added in the year 1943 (Showa 18).
The name of the school was changed to Hamamatsu College of Technology in 1944 (Showa 19).
The names of the departments were then changed to those of Mechanical, Electrical, Electrical Communications, Fuel and Chemical Engineering. Later, another two departments, namely, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Communications Engineering, were added. Finally, another department of Aeronautical Engineering was added in May of 1945 (Showa 20).
Faculty of Engineering was established in 1949 (Showa 24).
This faculty of Engineering started with three departments: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Applied Chemistry. The Department of Electronic engineering was added in 1952 (Showa 27); the Department of Chemical Engineering in 1958 (Showa 33); the Department of Synthetic Chemistry in 1962 (Showa 37), and the Department of Electronic engineering II was added in 1964 (Showa 39). The Graduate school (Master’s degree program) was founded in 1964 (Showa 39). Furthermore, the Division of Applied Science and Basic Engineering (in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry) was added in 1965 (Showa 40), another Department of Mechanical engineering II in 1967 (Showa 42), and the Department of Information Engineering in 1971 (Showa 46). In June of the year 1976 (Showa 51), the Graduate School of Electronic Science and Technology (Doctor’s degree program) was founded.
Departments were reformed in 1984 (Showa 59).
Part of the Departments of Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Mechanical Engineering merged to form a new department, namely, the Department of Photoelectrical Mechanical Engineering in 1984 (Showa 59). The three courses in mechanical engineering were reorganized in 1985 (Showa 60). The Departments of Applied Chemistry and Synthetic Chemistry were reorganized to establish new Department of Applied Chemistry and that of Materials Science in 1986 (Showa 61). The Department of Information Engineering became the Department of Information and Intelligent Systems Engineering in 1987 (Showa 62). The other departments also changed their courses from 1984 (Showa 59) to 1987 (Showa 62). In October 1994 (Heisei 6), the Junior College of Technology reduced its ten subdivided courses to five by unifying closely related ones for wider inter-disciplinary coverage and Initiated evening course programs for those pursuing higher professional education.
Establishment of the Faculty of Information and reformation of the Faculty of Engineering in 1995 (Heisei 7).
In response to the increasing role of information science and to social needs, the Department of Information and Intelligent Systems Engineering was separated from the Faculty of Engineering, to form a new faculty, namely, Faculty of Information, involving the field of social science, which was followed by the reorganization of the Faculty of Engineering into four departments: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Materials Science and Chemical Engineering, and Systems Engineering.
Establishment of the Graduate School of Science and Engineering in 1996 (Heisei 8).
Combining the graduate courses in science and engineering, the Graduate School of Science and Engineering, offering doctorate programs, was established in April 1996 (Heisei 8).
A four years’ intensive education on Hamamatsu campus was initiated in 2000 (Heisei 12).
Education used to be given to all classes of the first- and second-year students on Shizuoka campus. But now they receive consistent education on Hamamatsu campus from the first through fourth year.
According to the National University Corporation Law, Shizuoka University became a National University Corporation in 2004 (Heisei 16).
Graduate School of Science and Technology was founded in 2006 (Heisei 18).
Graduate School of Science and Technology (doctoral program) was founded. (Graduate School of Electronic Science was abolished.)
Reorganization in 2013 (Heisei 25).
Faculty and Graduate School of Engineering consist of 5 departments; Mechanical Engineering (3 courses), Electrical and Electronic Engineering (2 courses), Electronics and Materials Science (2 courses), Applied Chemistry and Biochemical Engineering (2 courses), and Mathematical and Systems Engineering; their related master’s programs; plus the program in Business Development & Management, bringing the total graduate programs to six.
Graduate School of Integrated Science and Technology was founded in 2015 (Heisei 27).
Abolished Graduate School of Informatics, Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Engineering and Graduate School of Agriculture, and Establised Graduate School of Integrated Science and Technology (Master's Course).
100th Anniversary Celebration of Hamamatsu Campus in 2022 (Reiwa 4).